Monday, January 23, 2006

A New Level of Boycott

After sending a note of thanks to Jesus' General, I got a reply with this in the signature:

***Due to Yahoo!'s complicity in the jailing of Chinese dissidents I WILL NOT ACCEPT EMAIL FROM YAHOO! ACCOUNTS*** For more information about Yahoo!'s work with the Chinese State Security Services, please
see: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=14884

For those of you with control over your e-mail servers, this is an even better way to boycott Yahoo!'s services. I'm trying to get my current mail service to do this. I'm not sure if it can be done yet.

Furthermore, I'd like to note that Jesus' General's mention of this blog led to more hits than its appearance in the New York Times. Impressive!

[Edited: I forgot to link to the General! Sorry, sir!]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some email accounts allow you to block email from an entire domain name. All you have to do is go to your spam list or blocked addresses and type in the domain name with the at-sign at the beginning.

I know hotmail and, ironically, yahoo allow you to do this.

This is a good example of collective action, one that could be very effective. Good luck!

Daniel
http://daniel360.com

1:33 PM  
Blogger scooterlib said...

If you use MailWasher,it gives you a choice of blocking an individual user or a complete domain. If you don't have it, you can download MailWasher for free.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home