Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Comparable Services

Yahoo! users who discontinue use of that corporation's products may need to replace any of the following services: (suggestions are welcome!)

- Free e-mail
- Instant Messaging
- Internet Search Engine
- Job Searching services (HotJobs is a Yahoo! affiliate.)
- Other Features

The following list provides some alternatives to these services:

Free E-mail


Please note that we are not necessarily recommending any of the following free e-mail providers. Use them at your own discretion.

www.hotmail.com (operated by MSN)
www.gmail.com (operated by Google)
www.firehousemail.com
www.easyscopes.com

Instant Messaging


MSN Instant Messenger
AOL Instant Messenger
Jabber (Jabber is a new open-source messaging service. Jabber is not a closed system. Plus, open source is cool!)
Googletalk

Internet Search Engines


www.google.com
www.MSN.com
www.altavista.com
www.lycos.com
www.dogpile.com

Job Searches


HotJobs is a Yahoo affiliate. Other job search engines can be found at the following links. Please note that we are not necessarily recommending any of the following services. Use them at your own discretion.

www.monster.com
www.dice.com
www.careerbuilder.com
www.snagajob.com
www.jobpier.com
www.job.com

Financial Reporting


For your stock monitoring, try this:

Marketwatch

Other Features


Yahoo! also provides music players, gaming sites, chatrooms, etc. As these services aren’t usually business-critical, we will leave it up to participants to find comparable services on their own.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sunny said...

Hello!

I wanted to point out that there's a new google messenger service: Google Talk. It's also free to download.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Sunny! I'll add a link soon.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a stock research site as easy and comprehensive as Yahoo Finance

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to the question about stock research: I like bigcharts.marketwatch.com.

I would like to correct a point on the main post. If you use Trillian to send IMs to users with a Yahoo screen name, you are still using Yahoo's IM servers and messaging network. It is true that you would not be using the Yahoo Messenger software, but you would not really be boycotting Yahoo services.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

You are correct! After writing that I realized also that my Yahoo! ID still needed to be active in order to IM Yahoo users. I'll be editing that out. Thanks.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Carol Elaine said...

Hi Jim!

Found a comparable list notification service to Yahoo! Groups: Topica - http://lists.topica.com/ - as far as I know they're on the up and up. I used them many years ago for my old online journal and had forgotten about them until recently.

Thanks for your hard work, Jim!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not recommend MSN services. They are same as Yahoo, Capitalism before Liberty. Though, noone has been jailed yet.

See
http://scobleizer.wordpress.com/2006/01/03/microsoft-takes-down-chinese-blogger-my-opinions-on-that/


Amit C

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incase the link did not make it earlier

11:36 AM  
Blogger Defiant Atheist said...

I'd like to suggest against using MSN as a search engine and if possible as a message service. They may not be complicit in the incareration of Shi Tao, but they, as well as Aol &, ofcourse, Yahoo, are complicit in American Privacy violations. I prefer to stick to google, for search, at least.

10:34 PM  
Blogger DairyStateDad said...

Please also suggest services for low-cost domain registration (I currently have a 2 personal domains registered through Yahoo that I am interested in changing; one is through their My Domains service and supports a personalized e-mail address with POP/SMTP access, the other is through another small business domain program they maintain.) Also, please suggest sources for free web hosting comparable to GeoCities.

Thank you.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ontario Emperor said...

I've never registered a domain, but GoDaddy appears to champion freedom of expression.

I don't know what the best free web hosting places are these days. I set up a Tripod web page years ago, but haven't really done anything with it.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started boycotting Yahoo about 5 years ago. I signed up with http://www.everyone.net for my domain currently eMail only but expandable to full web hosting. They are great and you can call and actually talk to the person who answers the phone, and she will direct you to another live person to answer your question or solve your problem.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those wanting a web portal such a My Yahoo can try Myway.com.
http://my.myway.com/index.jsp

They eschew banners and stick with google style advertising

8:37 PM  
Blogger fluff said...

as i just pointed out on another page, I'm pretty sure altavista and yahoo are in cahoots to some extent. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home